Everything You Need to Know About Alcohol Poisoning as Per Taylor Recovery Center: The Best Luxury Rehab in Houston

What is Alcohol Poisoning?

Alcohol poisoning can be defined as a condition where too much alcohol in the blood leads to the shutting down of some brain regions. This condition is also referred to as alcohol overdose. Alcohol has a depressant effect. This implies it has the potential to have an effect on the central nervous system, thereby reducing the rate at which you breathe and your heartbeat. In most people, the liver effectively filters out alcohol’s poisons before they reach the bloodstream. However, your liver may not be able to handle excessive alcohol consumption in a short period of time. Brain damage or death can result from alcohol poisoning. Call 911 immediately if you think someone you’re with has had too much to drink. This article by luxury rehab experts at Taylor Recovery Center in Houston, Texas, has handled some of the common questions surrounding alcohol poisoning including its signs and symptoms, causes, and dangers.

Signs and Symptoms of Alcohol Poisoning

Signs of Alcohol Poisoning

  • Slurred speech
  • Confusion
  • Staggering
  • Clammy skin
  • Alcohol smell
  • Poor coordination

Symptoms of Alcohol Poisoning

  • Low heartbeat rate.
  • Low body temperature.
  • Pale skin.
  • Low breathing rate
  • Severe confusion


Causes of Alcohol Poisoning

Alcoholic drinks contain ethanol, often known as ethyl alcohol. This component is also found in toothpaste and mouthwashes as well as cooking extracts and other medications. Drinking too many alcoholic beverages rapidly can lead to ethyl alcohol toxicity.

Toxic alcohol poisoning, requiring immediate medical attention, can also be caused by other types of alcohol.

Isopropyl alcohol, which can be found in rubbing alcohol, lotions, and even some cleaning products, is one such substance.

Ethylene gylcol or methanol,  a common constituent of paints, solvents, and antifreeze, is another

Alcoholic Bingeing

Binge drinking is a major contributor to alcohol toxicity. The term “binge drinking” refers to the quick consumption of five or more alcoholic drinks within two hours by a male, or four or more alcoholic drinks within two hours by a female.  A deadly overdose of alcohol can occur before a person loses consciousness. The stomach and intestines still release alcohol into the bloodstream even after the drunk person has passed out or stopped drinking.

Dangers of Alcohol Poisoning

  • Depressed Central Nervous System. The central nervous system depression caused by alcohol poisoning is a major risk. Consuming an excessive amount of alcohol can impair vital biological functions including breathing and heart rate, perhaps leading to coma and death.
  • Dehydration and Electrolyte Imbalance. Alcohol is a diuretic, therefore it increases the frequency and volume of urination. Seizures, heart arrhythmias, and organ failure are all possible outcomes of this condition, brought on by severe dehydration and an imbalance of critical electrolytes.
  • A hazardous drop in body temperature might result from alcohol poisoning. Untreated hypothermia can be fatal because it compromises organ function and causes unconsciousness.
  • Choking and Aspiration. Due to alcohol poisoning’s effects on coordination and consciousness, the victim may choke on their own vomit, blocking their airway and causing them to suffocate.

Are you struggling with alcohol addiction or abuse? Taylor Recovery Center, a luxury rehab in Houston, has all the resources and is ready to help anyone struggling with alcohol addiction. Our services range from on-site treatment and detox to aftercare support and linking with support groups such as Alcoholics Anonymous. Contact Taylor Recovery Center today and begin your journey to sobriety.